Our spine is made up of a series of small bones known as vertebrae. Between two consecutive vertebrae there is a cushion like substance called inter-vertebral disc. Spondylosis is a common degenerative condition of the inter-vertebral disc due to subsequent biochemical changes in the bones and soft tissues. Spondylitis is an inflammation of the vertebra. It is a form of spondylopathy. In many cases spondylitis involves one or more vertebral joints as well, which itself is called spondylarthritis. It can affect the normal spinal structure and function of the cervical (neck), thoracic (chest area), and lumbar (low back) spine. As biochemical changes transpire, collagen – a crucial structural element of the inter-vertebral disc is affected by the loss of water content which causes the discs to weaken and shrink in height escalating the risk for disc bulging and herniation. The cartilage covering joint surface erodes causing the spine’s ligaments to thicken and lose strength. In an effort to repair itself, the body forms bone spurs (osteopathy) and the joints enlarge causing osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease. All these alteration in normal spine cause severe pain at affected site, sometimes backache, neck pain.
• Congenital (from birth).
• Sedentary life.
• Fall or injury.
• Trauma from carrying heavy loads, excessive dancing, violent exercises or gymnastics.
• Wrong positions in sitting, standing or sleeping.
• Diseases of bones.
• Drugs affecting bones.
• Pain, tenderness and stiffness in the neck, shoulder, arm or low back.
• Weakness and numbness in the neck, shoulder, arms or legs.
• Chest pain or breast pain.
• Morning stiffness.
• Restricted movement, difficulty bending or walking.
• Asymmetry in the legs with an unbalanced gait.
• Headaches at the back of head.
• Vertigo and loss of balance.
• Swallowing difficulty.
• Loss of bladder or bowel control.
• Irritability and sleeplessness due to excessive pain.
ROLE OF HOMOEOPATHY IN SPONDYLOSIS/ SPONDYLITIS:
Homeopathic treatment is an effective and safe cure in preliminary stage of Spondylosis. In chronic cases of Spondylosis/ soondylitis Homeopathy can reduce overcrowding of the spine, compression of the nerves and also conclude the progressive degenerative changes. In very advanced cases of structural damage like a badly deformed spine, Homeopathic remedies along with a correct posture can facilitate in living better without any complaints or pain. We can aim for near normal in all other cases. The outcome of Homoeopathy in managing Spondylosis will be remarkable compared to other system of medicines or surgical interventions.
Self Care measures:
• Bed rest when needed.
• Gentle stretching exercises.
• Maintain good posture while sitting, standing and sleeping.
• Do not be in one position for a long time.
• Avoid heavy lifting and activities that aggravate pain or other symptoms.
• Use seat belts in vehicles and keep headrests at proper heights.
• Try to keep your weight close to ideal.
• Stop smoking.
• Avoid violent massages.
• Avoid cold exposures and cold bath
• Avoid citrus fruits since they can precipitate pain.
• Hot showers will help in relieving pain.
Hence, every individual suffering from Spondylosis must consider Homeopathy to provide relief and/or lifetime
cure. Homeopathic treatment can change a person’s life from one of distress to one of health.